There are many reasons why it is easy to gain weight during the winter time: bulky clothes hide weight gain, the weather isn’t great for outdoor exercise, and of course, the holiday food. Rich meals, luxurious desserts, and the extra cocktail add up quickly.
The good news is that, while you can’t control the weather, there are some very simple recipe swaps that can help you stay on track. Check out these traditional winter foods with our special Medifast twist.
- Winter Vegetables: Instead of the carb-heavy meals that we tend to associate with the holidays, consider all of the gorgeous and delicious winter vegetables that we can work with during this time of year. Butternut squash, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli and winter greens are all fantastic and full of flavor. Our Spaghetti Squash Lasagna is rich and delicious, but is full of vegetables and lean protein, making it an excellent option for those days you crave a big bowl of pasta.
- Oatmeal: Is there anything better than a warm bowl of oatmeal on a cold morning? Full of fiber and whole grains, oatmeal will keep you feeling full all day long. Opt for our Medifast version or steel cut oats instead of the traditional packets for an extra nutritional punch that is low in sugar. Or you can turn your Medifast Oatmeal packet into a delicious and healthy dessert– our guilt-free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies!
- Soup: A hearty vegetable soup is a great lunch, appetizer or even dinner on a cold day. Just skip the creamed varieties – they tend to be full of fat and calories. Or, give our Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheddar Soup – full of the flavors you are craving, but without the extra calories.
- Coffee: There’s nothing quite like a steaming hot cup of coffee in the morning. Instead of visiting the coffee shop, where a Pumpkin Spice Latte is high in sugar and calories, try our Medifast version to get your fix without all the extra calories.
- Chili: Chili is a hearty winter favorite – great for an easy weeknight meal, or the perfect party food on game day. A few easy swaps can turn your chili into a super nutritious option – add in extra beans and substitute lean ground turkey for ground beef in your favorite chili recipe, or check out our Medifast Turkey Chili.
- Water: It is so easy to forget to drink enough water once the weather cools off, but staying hydrated isn’t just important over the summer, it’s also essential during the cold winter months. Try hot water with a lemon wedge if you prefer a warm beverage over a cold one. Unsweetened tea, or tea with an alternative sweetener is also a great option.
Winter doesn’t have to derail your weight loss efforts. Keeping your cupboards full of broths, beans, and other staples makes it easier to prepare a healthy meal at a moment’s notice. Check out the Medifast Winter Recipe Book for some other delicious and healthy winter food swaps!