With summer in full swing and the 4th of July right around the corner, it ‘s easy to get distracted. And all the invitations to summer BBQ’s with family and friends don’t help the matter. So we’ve put together a list of “BBQ Survival Guide Tips” and BBQ friendly foods to help you stay on track while still enjoying a day of cooking and socializing outdoors.
5 Tips for Surviving a Summer BBQ
- Some salads come off as healthy but are loaded with calories. If going to a BBQ offer to bring a salad. This way you can control what’s going in it and it’s Medifast friendly!
- Wrap lean hamburger meat or turkey burgers in lettuce instead of a bun.
- When at a BBQ, scan the table and try to make the best choice possible. Also make a plate and sit or stand AWAY from the food table… spend time mingling instead!
- Use low fat dressings (ie Italian dressing) as a marinade for any meat you are grilling.
- And don’t forget to trim as much fat as possible off of protein sources before throwing them on the grill.
Medifast Recommended Foods & Beverages, great for any BBQ:
1. Our top 3 Medifast snacks to munch on at a BBQ:
- BBQ Bites
- Cheese Pizza Bites
- Honey Mustard Pretzel Sticks (great replacement for chips)
2. Our Asian Style Cucumber Coleslaw is refreshing on a hot summer day and our Hummus Dip goes great with fresh veggies. We recommend these tasty veggies for our Medifast Hummus Dip:
- Carrots (steer clear of carrots if you are in the weight loss phase though)
- Zucchini Sticks
- Cherry Tomatoes
3. Grill lean meat instead of a hamburger or hotdog. These recipes can all be found in our Lean and Green cookbook or on our blog and are perfect for grilling:
4. For those of you in the second phase or maintenance phase of your Medifast program, choose to enjoy a cup of fresh fruit instead of a high fat cookie or cake. The sugar in the fruit will satisfy your sweet tooth and keep you on track!
5. Finally, beverages! Water is, of course, always the best choice (especially if you’re spending a full day under the hot sun) but here are a few Medifast approved drinks to switch things up a bit:
- Medifast “Patriotic Punch“
- Diet Soda
- Medifast Flavor Infusers
- Crystal Light – Iced Tea and Lemonade are best!
- And as always, try to avoid alcohol. If choosing to have alcohol limit yourself to one or two drinks and opt for light adult beverages.