A common complaint that many people have when cutting back on their sugar or carbohydrate intake is that they have some pretty intense sugar cravings. Instead of stressing over sugar cravings, there are a number of other things you can eat that will deal with them in a much healthier way.
In addition to the delicious Medifast Meal Replacement options, here are 7 snacks that will satisfy any sweet tooth or craving:
- Berries: Whichever type you prefer, berries are a great and indulgent treat when a sugar craving hits. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries are all rich in antioxidants and fiber.
- Sweet potato: Try baking half of a sweet potato and sprinkling a little cinnamon over it. Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet and the cinnamon adds a great and unique flavor. In addition, sweet potatoes have a lot of fiber and can be really filling.
- “Faux ice cream”: Try freezing a banana and then sticking it in the blender with some low-fat yogurt or cottage cheese and add a little bit of your preferred sweetener. You can also add in your favorite flavorings: vanilla, cocoa powder or almonds are especially good. Blend it all up and you’ll have a mixture that resembles soft serve ice cream with significantly less fat, sugar and calories.
- Chocolate: That’s right—chocolate can be a healthy alternative. But that doesn’t mean that you should eat any old candy bar. Look for a dark chocolate bar with at least 85% cacao. One or two squares will be enough to satisfy any chocolate craving. Dark chocolate is also filled with heart-healthy flavonoids and antioxidants.
- Hot cocoa: The catch is that you have to make it from scratch. All you need is unsweetened cocoa powder, your milk of choice (try unsweetened coconut milk for a coconut flavor) and your sweetener or sugar alternative of choice. The protein in the milk combined with the health benefits of the cocoa powder make this a more beneficial alternative than the sugary packets. Plus, hot cocoa is super satisfying, especially at the end of the night before bed.
- Greek yogurt: Try making a parfait! Layer low-fat Greek yogurt with fruit, unsweetened coconut, a handful of almonds or other nuts or even a small amount of dark chocolate chips. Best of all, you can customize your own snack for exactly what you want, or switch it up from night to night. The Greek yogurt has a lot of filling protein, and your mix-ins can really satisfy a sweet tooth. Just watch your portion sizes—don’t use too much chocolate or coconut, or the calorie count can really add up.
- Apples and peanut butter: Try adding a little peanut butter (watch your portion sizes!) to apple slices. Apples are rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals, and the peanut butter adds filling protein.
Sugar cravings are a very normal part of weight loss and don’t have to derail your goals. Make sure to be easy on yourself and know that the cravings will pass in time. Give yourself time to adjust to your new way of eating and give these snacks a try in the meantime!