The holidays are a notoriously difficult time to lose and maintain weight loss. Thinking ahead and smart planning can be the key to not sabotaging all of your hard work. Here are 7 ways to help you lose weight during the holiday season.
- Bring a dish. If you’re going to a holiday meal, bring a healthy dish (or two!) that you can eat and are excited about. This way you know you’ll have something guilt-free to eat.
- Don’t give up on exercise. In order to stay on track, make sure to fit in time each day for exercise. You’ll be able to burn off extra calories you may have consumed.
- Track food intake. It can be easy to lose track of what you’re eating during the holidays. This is a great time to use a food journal and write down what you’ve eaten each day and make adjustments accordingly.
- Drink water. Skip calorie rich alcoholic beverages and stick to water. Soda water with lemon or lime can be a tasty alternative if you prefer.
- Be mindful of portions. Keep an eye on the size of your portions. Stick with a small handful of nuts, instead of a bowlful, or eat one slice of cheese instead of a whole block.
- Eat before holiday parties. Before going to a holiday party, eat a big salad or a full meal at home where you can control the calorie count. This way you’ll show up already full and less likely to pick at unhealthy foods.
- Chew gum. Chewing a strong peppermint gum can help keep you from mindlessly snacking, especially when cooking or near food that is not on your weight loss plan.