The Medifast diet plan is a remarkably effective program that will help you shed those unwanted pounds quickly. One of the most important components to improving health and wellness is designing and committing to a fitness plan. Fitness is more than exercise. It is a comprehensive approach to your overall well-being and includes diet, exercise, and nutrition. The following are 5 key fitness tips to keep in mind this coming summer:
- Hydrate – Drinking eight glasses of water sounds like a great idea, but if you’re like the majority of people, you’ll spend more time out in the heat and sunshine during the summer – not to mention additional time spent walking, running, hiking, and exercising. This means that you may want to increase your water intake beyond the basic eight glasses rule. You’ll want to drink a full 16-ounces every 30 minutes when you’re out in the heat, or if you’re exercising.
- Eat small meals throughout the day – We all know that it feels better to eat lightly throughout the day, but did you know that it is also better for you? Eating smaller meals (about 5-6) throughout the day will actually raise your metabolic rate, meaning you’ll burn more calories than you would by eating just two or three heavy meals each day. Plus, you’ll feel light and lithe – perfect for helping you stay active and energized this summer.
- Get social – being social while emphasizing fitness is a great way to make sure that you stay on track and accomplish your overall health and wellness goals. Join a running or walking group to add accountability to your routine – plus you’ll have more fun in the process! Social settings like summer BBQs and outdoor gatherings can help you experiment with healthy foods and drinks, and the festive environment will have you yearning for conversation – not reaching for a high-calorie snack.
- Enjoy the outdoors – one of the biggest draws to summer is the incredible weather that graces much of our nation during this sunny season. Take the time to integrate the outdoors into your fitness routine. Whether that means tending to your garden in order to harvest fresh vegetables, or visiting your local state or national park in order to stretch your legs on a challenging hiking trail, being outside will raise your spirits and help you add enjoyment to your fitness routine.
- Keep cool and covered – the summer is a great time to focus on your fitness goals, and exercise should be a big part of your plan. But the intense summer sun and hot, balmy days can do a number on your skin. Make sure that you exercise during the cooler times of the day (early morning and early evening) and use plenty of sunscreen. An SPF 30 sunblock, applied liberally and often, will help keep harmful UV rays from damaging your skin and contributing to dangerous sunburns. Dress appropriately, too – light colored, long sleeved shirts and exercise pants are great for keeping the sun off your skin.
This summer, get out there and re-commit to your fitness goals. Combining a healthy eating plan that emphasizes several small meals throughout the day with moderate exercise and appropriate water intake, and you’ll feel great and look amazing in no time.